Te Puna Oraka - Shirley HUB
Te Puna Oraka is a new partnership between Barnardos and the Early Start Project which was set up in late 2008. This is the only site in Christchurch and one of 13 throughout NZ which are funded by Family & Community Services. The vision is that: “all children have the best start in life, flourish in early childhood, and are supported to reach their potential.”
Supporting Parents in the Shirley Area
Te Puna Oraka aims to provide a base (the HUB) where families with young children living in the Shirley area can access services that will support their parenting, and improve health and wellbeing outcomes for children aged from birth to 6 years. The aim is also that service providers operating in the Shirley area work in a collaberative well co-ordinated way to meet the needs of families/whanau with young children.
Family Focused Activities
There is a range of family focused activities provided at the HUB, currently:as activities change each term - please contact the HUB to find out what is happening.
- MONDAY 10am - 12noon: Music Bugs is a free preschool music session for mums and bubs of any age who enjoy music/playing and singing. Please bring a snack for your child.
- TUESDAY: Incredible Years is a 13-week parenting course for parents currently enrolled with Early Start Project.
- 11am: Walking Group is a group of parents who would like to get a bit of exercise, get out in their community and meet other parents.
- Vege Co-op: Every week you can order a bag of fruit and veges for $15.
- THURSDAY: Breastfeeding Support this group is supported by trained breastfeeding peer counsellors. Ruth O'Donovan (Lactation Consultant) is also available for appointments.
- FRIDAY 9.30-11.30am: Migrant Playgroup this is a chance for refugee and migrant mothers and their preschoolers to socialise while informally learning about Kiwi culture and language.
Families living in Shirley are welcome to drop in to the HUB or phone for information:
69B Briggs Road, Shirley, Christchurch - Phone: 03 385-5691